July 23, 2010

Murphy

Necessity drives invention. Or, as often happens to me, Murphy reeks havoc and I'm forced to think outside the box.
Wednesday morning I had such an experience. I had an early morning meeting, no biggie, but with the late starts of our summer days, I had carefully planned my morning down to the last minute to make sure I would not be late. With children fed and dressed, I proceeded to finish getting ready in the 30 minutes I had left, and very much needed, for my morning hair management. Unfortuantely, I was not blessed with easy to style hair. I have to either blow dry it and use a flat iron to straighten it, or use a defuser with my blow dryer to enhance the otherwise frizzy curls I so unjustly inherited. All options require a blow dryer. So, with my final 30 minutes ticking away I headed off to tame my wild mane.
Well, apparently not today. Mr. Blow Dryer decided he was done with me and opted for an early retirement due to burn out. Desperation set in as I frantically tried to think up an alternate attack on my soggy frizzy hair. Every option seemed to require to much time. Finally, I considered driving around the neighborhood with all the windows rolled down to try and speed up drying time. But could I manage to get up enough speed and get my head far enough out the window for this to actually work? Then..light bulb moment! Rolling down the car windows isn't the only way to get "wind" in the car. There's a FAN!
Well, imagine the surprise of my oldest teenage son when he opened the garage door to see his mom squatting on the front seat of the car with her hair draped over the dash trying to dry it with the fan. Imagine the "oh, she's definitely lost it this time" look in his eyes as he informed me I had a phone call and handed me the phone. Imagine how he laughed when it was realized 15 minutes later that my new found blow dryer had run down the battery in the car and the poor thing wouldn't start.
Laugh away bucko. I can take it.
Next time, I will remember to start the car before I attempt to blow dry my hair.

1 comment:

keri said...

this bucko is laughing out loud...too funny sadie. silly girl, you should have called me...oh no, i wasnt home...sorry!!! that is one of the funniest stories i have heard in a long long long time. thanks for the laugh!!! cant wait for ffs soon to hear more!!!
smiles
keri